8/12/09

Kids say the darndest things...


This was a conversation today with Hailey...
Hailey: Mom, I think I need one more year of Kindergarten.
Me: Why? You finally get to eat lunch at school and have 3 recess'!
Hailey: Well, I just think I better have one more year of Kindergarten.
Me: Well, I don't think that's gonna happen, Hay.
(after about 30 seconds of deep thought)
Hailey: I know! (screaming) I can be sick!
Me: (trying to hide a laugh) I don't think that's gonna work.
Hailey: (another 10 seconds later) Oh! I can be out of town!
Me: (not doing very well hiding my laugh) I still don't think that's gonna work.
Hailey: (maybe 20 seconds later) I know! I can pretend that I don't have a backpack for school!
Me: (now laughing outloud at her first attempt to get out of something she doesn't want to do...
hmmm, I think she has listened to me on Sunday mornings, or something?) LOL
Hailey: Let me think... what if i have to be in time out cause I didn't do my jobs? Cause I can't go ANYWHERE if I don't do my jobs.
Me: Oh, Hay. You are funny. I think no matter what, you are going to 1st grade.
Hailey: (defeated) Well, I guess we better go buy me a new backpack then.
Me: Yeah, I think you made the right choice, Hailey. I was biting my tongue & laughing, she really thought she had a choice in the matter.
I love this girl. What will I do without her all day? You raise your kids for 6 years, 24 hours per day, then you just send them off to school one day for 6 hours and 40 minutes? Ugh. It's gonna be tough.

1 comment:

  1. I was SOOO happy to see your comment on my blog! I just love you. I was laughing so hard at all the excuses Hailey was giving...what a sweetheart. Hope you are doing well, I miss seeing you too!

    ReplyDelete